Death toll from Italy bridge collapse rises to 41

Genoa bridge collapse

Over 400 people were evacuated from nearby buildings on Tuesday

Three more bodies have been found in the rubble of the Genoa bridge collapse, raising the death toll to 41, according to Italian media.

The bodies of an Italian couple and their 9-year-old daughter were found in their smashed vehicle under a big block of concrete, Italian news agency ANSA said.

Rescue workers searched through tons of concrete and steel from the collapsed Genoa highway bridge for a fourth day on Friday as Italians prepared to bury the 38 victims of a disaster that has angered the public and rattled industry.

It said they were three family members, including a child, who had been travelling for a holiday when their auto, with about 30 other vehicles, plunged when the bridge gave way.

"The fire service is continuing its inspection of the area in order to rule out the eventual presence of people not reported missing".

In his brief homily, he encouraged citizens to show solidarity, and said "we can build new bridges to walk together" to rise above the tragedy.

Italy's president has comforted families of numerous Genoa bridge collapse victims.

The head of the regional government, Giovanni Toti, said the first temporary homes would be delivered on Monday and that all those who had to leave their apartments close to the bridge would be accommodated in the next two months.

"Let's be very clear, the state won't take charity from Autostrade", Deputy Premier Luigi Di Maio, who attended the funeral, said in a Facebook post.

Autostrade per l'Italia, a unit of infrastructure group Atlantia (ATL.MI), has always operated correctly in its role of toll-road operator, the group's chief executive said on Saturday.

The 51-year-old Morandi Bridge was a key artery that linked highways to Milan and France, and authorities are wrangling over who should be held responsible for its collapse.

Genoa's Catholic archbishop Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco said the city has "had its heart torn out" as he led the funeral service.

"Today the government.has formally sent to Autostrade per l'Italia the letter of complaint that launches the process for revoking the concession", Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in a statement.

Players of the city's two soccer teams, Genoa and Sampdoria, sat among the crowd, having cancelled matches this weekend in sign of respect.

Salvini, who is also interior minister, demanded that the company offer up to 500 million euros ($570 million) to help families and local government deal with the aftermath of the disaster.

The dead also include three Chileans and four French nationals, while 10 people remain in hospital.

Mr Mattarella did not speak at the funeral, held on a national day of mourning, but after the ceremony ended he told reporters the bridge collapse "is an unacceptable tragedy".

Investigators are working to see if a design flaw or improper maintenance might have caused the collapse on Tuesday.

The collapse has prompted fears over other aging infrastructure in Italy and overseas.

Latest News