Suspect dead, three officers wounded in Kansas City shootouts

Marlin Mack

Marlin Mack

Authorities say a man being investigated in the killing of an Indian college student was fatally shot by Kansas City police after wounding three officers.

Police say the suspect shot three officers earlier on Sunday while they were working on an undercover operation at a motel 3.2 kilometers from Kauffman Stadium. The suspect then fled in a vehicle with another person, who was arrested when officers found the vehicle.

The suspect drove away and then fled on foot, police said.

Two officers were wounded in that gunfire.

Police had been watching multiple locations for the homicide suspect, and he "popped up" at Sky-Vu Motel, 8300 E. USA 40, Chief of Police Rick Smith said.

They are now in the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

A suspect in the killing of 25-year-old Koppu has been killed in an exchange of fire with the police, leaving three undercover officers injured, USA authorities said today.

The KC Police Twitter posted about 2:20 p.m. that the third officer is in stable condition. A detective was shot and injured in this firing, which ended with the death of the suspect.

The suspect barricaded himself inside a home and began a standoff with police.

'This is the first time we laid eyes on him, ' Smith said.

Approximately 12:15pm undercover and tactical officers were conducting an ongoing investigation at 8300 E 40 hwy. He also identified the man who was under surveillance and opened fire on the officers. The injured suspect was taken into custody and the police and the KCFD declared him dead.

The officers have been transported to a nearby, area hospital.

"There has been an officer involved shooting in the area of 40 hwy and Manchester".

It was a tense afternoon at the scene where the suspect died, with a almost seven-hour standoff coming to an end after officers successfully entered a house where they found the suspect. The suspect then got into a vehicle with another passenger and left the area.

"At that location shortly before 1 p.m. officers once again were fired upon".

Latest News