A Corpus Christi man has had more than two dozen doses of antivenom after he was bitten by a rattlesnake even after he had severed its head, according to a KIII-TV report.
Sutcliffe said her husband spotted the 4-foot rattlesnake and used a shovel to sever its head, but when he went to pick up the snake to dispose of it, he was bitten by the severed head. "He had to rip it off".
"I heard him screaming that it had bit him", said Jennifer, who was in the house at the time.
"Which in that case since there is no body, it released all its venom into him at that point, so he had a lot of venom", she said in an interview.
"Within two miles down the road, he was going through seizures, slipping out of conscious and couldn't see".
"Some people are saying we deserve it, it's karma", Ms Sutcliffe said.
It happened the weekend of May 27 at a home near Lake Corpus Christi.
South Texas' KIII-TV reported the victim's wife said that the snake discharged "all its venom".
The excessive venom almost proved fatal for Milo, who had seizures, lost his vision and began to bleed internally on his trip to the hospital. After a 2014 incident in China, biologists affirmed that removing the head of a venomous snake doesn't instantly eliminate the threat it poses.
With six rattlesnake species native to Texas, not to mention all the state's copperheads, this may serve as an important cautionary tale for other homeowners who may be faced with a venomous snake on their property.
He is now in a stable condition.
Halpert warned people not to suck the venom out themselves. If someone near you is bitten, get medical help immediately.