OH teenager suffocates in van after twice calling 911

Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed

Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast rewritten or redistributed

A night shift worker at the school also called 911, saying he was with Plush's father in the parking lot.

An Ohio county prosecutor has opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a teenage boy who became trapped by a minivan bench seat.

Plush was found by a family member around 9 p.m.in a parking lot near the school in Madisonville, about six hours after his first call to 911.

Police said Plush was reaching for his tennis gear in the back when the third row of the 2004 Honda Odessy collapsed, pinning him upside down and crushing his chest. Officers were unable to locate him and critical information about the vehicle he was in was never relayed to officers on the scene, officials said.

The 911 operator reportedly had a hard time understanding the teen. The Hamilton County coroner says Plush died of asphyxia on Tuesday due to "chest compression" and that it appears to be an accident.

Cincinnati police and the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office also are investigating.

The first call ends and the dispatcher alerts local law enforcement. He repeatedly told the operator he was at "Seven Hills", but apparently she couldn't understand him, according to the reports.

"We are missing a kid and apparently he's been found in his vehicle in the parking lot", said one caller, who works for the school.

Kyle: I can't hear you, I'm in desperate need of help. "It was really a odd call".

Sometime after Plush's first call, the 911 dispatcher called back on his cellphone number, but it went to voicemail: "Hello, this is Kyle". They were there for 11 minutes, patrolling the area to look for anyone in distress. Officers didn't find anything in the parking lots near the school, so they closed the incident.

Just two minutes before officers ended their search, Kyle had called 911 again. "This is not a joke".

The boy was inside a gold 2002 Honda Odyssey van in the parking lot of his school, pinned under the third-row folding seat.

"I probably don't have much time left", he said, this time talking to a different operator. After a almost three minute call, the line went dead.

Eliot Isaac, the Cincinnati Police Chief, said something went "terribly wrong" in the department's response to Plush's 911 calls.

At several points in the second three-minute call, during which the operator does not respond and loud banging or heavy breathing can be heard, he attempts to call on the Siri automated iPhone assistant without success.

"Horrific, horrific situation to come across as a parent", Cincinnati Police spokesman Lt. Steve Saunders said Thursday in a phone interview.

In May 2017, Smith wrote a publish "venting" about how working further time makes her and her co-workers "hate our job". Her most recent work-related Facebook post was on Friday, April 6.

"I'm stuck in my van outside the Seven Hills [unintelligible] parking lot", Plush, who was audibly gasping between words, said in the call, which was later made public. My goal in life is to one day write a Batman screenplay. He said only that he was trapped in his minivan and could not hear them - no doubt hoping they could still hear his cries for help.

Latest News