Cricket Australia launches independent review, Rick McCosker to chair

Bancroft and Klinger playing for Western Australia. Image Getty

Bancroft and Klinger playing for Western Australia. Image Getty

Warner, like his teammates both did on Wednesday, took to social media to confirm that he has accepted his lengthy suspension from global and domestic cricket.

Peever also announced that Cricket Australia would conduct a separate player-driven review considering a "charter" into the expected standards of behaviour of the Australian men's cricket team.

Warner and Smith were last week suspended from worldwide and domestic cricket for a year, while opening batsman Bancroft was exiled for nine months over the incident during the third Test in South Africa that shocked the sport.

Smith and Warner were slapped with 12-month bans, while Bancroft, who was caught using a piece of sandpaper on the ball in the third test in Cape Town, was suspended for nine months following the scandal which rocked cricket in Australia.

"The important link will be between the events of Cape Town and what the review thinks and finds are the links between those events and the wider organisations", Mr Peever said.

"It is anticipated that this process will include assessments as to whether changes to codes and standards governing player conduct are required".

"The independent review of the organisation will be a review into its culture, processes and governance".

"Rick will advise on the most appropriate procedures to guide his work, however it is now envisaged that he will invite two former players and two current players to join him on a panel". "Look, when I was back at home a week and half ago, if you think it was big news over here, it was astronomical how big the issue was in Australia, and rightly so", he said. Former Test allrounder Tom Veivers revealed last month that he and former captain Brian Booth had previously written to the CA chief executive James Sutherland and been rebuffed. "What we must do now is work on the issues that we have and we take responsibility for fixing them and making them better".

The fallout from the saga has been significant with Steve Smith and David Warner being stripped of the captaincy and vice captaincy as well as handed one-year bans.

'Further details will be announced as soon as possible once we have worked carefully through this process'. He has gone on to admit that he might never get a chance to play for Australia again. "Reaction of Australian public felt that Australian players had not played the game in a fair way", he said. Fans expect the team to play that way.

Latest News