South Africa's former president Jacob Zuma was due to appear in court on April 6 to face charges of corruption in a years-old $2.5 billion arms deal, although he will legally challenge the decision to prosecute him, his lawyer said on Monday.
The National Prosecuting Authority earlier on March 16 said it would seek to prosecute Mr. Zuma on 16 charges, including fraud, racketeering, corruption and money laundering.
"We can confirm that the summons has been served to the former president", Hangwani Mulaudzi, spokesman for the Hawks police investigation unit, told AFP.
Former president Jacob Zuma is allegedly being probed by the Hawks after claims emerged that he allegedly received a R1 million bribe to keep a cabinet minister in office.
Mr Ramaphosa said in a statement on Thursday that an agreement had been struck to continue the payments until a court finds Mr Zuma had acted in his personal capacity rather than as head of state.
Zuma stepped down under pressure from his ruling African National Congress party in the wake of a slew of corruption scandals.
The previous charges were filed against Mr. Zuma but then dropped by the NPA shortly before he successfully ran for president in 2009.
The charges relate to an arms deal in the 1990s and were originally thrown out almost a decade ago before Zuma successfully ran for president in 2009.
The Sunday Times reported last week that part of Zuma's strategy will include trying to convince the court that he did not have criminal intentions and that his alleged interventions on Shaik's behalf were in line with the ANC's BEE objectives.