Death toll from market attack in Syrian capital rises to 38

E Ghouta Resident Dismisses Media Lies: 'Syrian Army Saved us' (VIDEO)

Syrian market assault leaves 44 dead, marking one of deadliest Damascus attacks in years

Syrian pro-government forces advance on the outskirts of Ayn Tarma in Eastern Ghouta as they continue to press their offensive to capture the militant-held enclave on the doorstep of Damascus on March 21, 2018.

The rocket landed in the Kashkoul market close to rebel-held parts of Eastern Ghouta, which has been under heavy bombardment by the Syrian army and its allies since last month.

"Representatives of the countries who scramble to convene emergency sessions in support of terrorists at the UN Security Council in NY and the Human Rights Council in Geneva have once again remained tight-lipped over this atrocious catastrophe whose victims are women and children", the ministry pointed out.

Since the crisis flared up, Syria has defended its right to protect its own citizens and put enormous efforts to spare the Syrians and the world the massacres of terrorist groups, urging the sponsors of terrorist gangs to immediately desist from supporting terrorists. The Syrian opposition has criticized such agreements, saying they reward the government's siege tactics and legitimize the forced displacement of civilians from their homes.

It is the first such deal involving the evacuation of opposition fighters from eastern Ghouta, which has been under a ferocious government air and ground assault for a month.

On Wednesday, one strike killed 20 people there including 16 children, the war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said. He said the deal negotiated with the government gives security guarantees for those who decide to stay in the town after the government takes over.

Earlier in the day, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said as many as 140 families evacuated Harasta on Wednesday.

At least 29 people were killed and scores injured on Tuesday when a rocket landed in a busy market place in an eastern suburb of the Syrian capital Damascus, state media said.

"The Russian Center for Reconciliation delivered humanitarian aid for residents of the liberated Saqba settlement in Eastern Ghouta", he said.

"They bomb us to force us to leave our homes and everything behind us and say imminent death faces those who stay", Iyad Abdul Aziz, head of the local council in Douma, told Reuters. The TV network did not identify the woman or the child.

The Syrian government has decried the silence of the global community on the incessant terrorist attacks against civilian neighborhoods in Damascus, calling on the United Nations to expose the real goals behind the ongoing foreign-sponsored militancy against the Arab country.

Government forces, meanwhile, continued to pound remaining opposition-held areas with shelling and airstrikes.

More than 100 civilians were killed in the last two days of air strikes in eastern Ghouta with most of the raids on Douma city, the largest population centre where more than 150,000 people still live.

The regime's offensive on Ghouta has killed more than 1,400 civilians since February 18, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory.

Government forces have made major gains in recent days, leaving just a small fraction of eastern Ghouta under rebel control. President Bashar Assad paid a rare visit to troops on the front lines over the weekend.

The evacuees will leave toward rebel-held areas in the northwestern province of Idlib, the report added. As many as 315 people, including 15 militants wishing to stop fighting, left the area through the new corridor within 24 hours.

Latest News