The White House had said in mid-February that the two presidents were working on arranging a meeting.
A planned visit by Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto to the White House has been called off after a heated phone exchange with US President Donald Trump, US media reported.
The Washington Post reports that, unsurprisingly, much of their 50-minute call on Tuesday centered on Trump's infamous border wall and who would pay for it, and a Mexican official told the Post that Trump "lost his temper" during the call. "It's not even business; it's personal, driven by motivations and triggers, and that's a huge problem", he said, adding that, "It could end up with the U.S. asking itself, 'Who lost Mexico?'" cited by the Washington Post. Nieto was looking for Trump's acknowledgment that Mexico will not pay for the wall. The President of the neighboring country peña Nieto, in turn, said that Mexico refuses to Fund the construction.
The wall, a key item for Trump's political base of supporters, has become a sticking point in talks to keep alive a federal program that protects from deportation young people who were brought to the United States illegally as children.
Pena Nieto was scheduled to meet Trump shortly after the latter had taken office in January 2017 but pulled back in response to a tweet lamenting any such meeting as futile if Mexico was "unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall".
Pena Nieto had already cancelled a visit in January previous year because of US President Donald Trump's insistence that Mexico pay for the wall, which he wants as part of his efforts to curb immigration. Peña Nieto has repeatedly pointed out that Mexico will not, and last week was seeking assurance from Trump that he would back off the claim, anxious Trump would embarrass him during the visit, particularly since he is trying to get reelected in July.