Dozens of girls missing after extremists attack Nigerian village

Boko Haram Jihadists Attack Girls School In Yobe

Yobe government confirm 48 students still unaccounted for after Boko Haram attack

The insurgents attacked the town on Monday and targeted the all-girls school after arriving the town around 7 pm with over 18 gun trucks. So far no destruction of property or killing has been reported but there were cases of looting of food and provisions. A military source last night told Saharareporters that they could not confirm or deny if the missing girls were abducted.

Maimuna Lawan, an SSS3 student said the insurgents stormed the gate around 6:30pm, "They were shouting that we should not run".

State government officials said Wednesday about 50 girls remained missing though dozens had returned to the area after fleeing.

It was unclear Wednesday whether the students were abducted by the militants or are missing after fleeing men who raided the Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) on Monday night in Dapchi, Yobe State.

"I am on the ground with the school authorities at the school premises now, but I can not confirm that any girl has been kidnapped, we don't have that information yet", Mr. Bukar said.

He said that over ninety percent of the students have returned to the school while others have reached their parent safely.

But the police chief warned that the public should not take this to mean that they were kidnapped.

"We were in the mosque when the Boko Haram gunmen came into the town".

Boko Haram drew global condemnation when they abducted 276 girls from Chibok back in 2014.

However, after the headcount on Tuesday, it was discovered that at least 94 of the girls were still missing.

Getting accurate information from the remote northeast remains hard.

The permanent secretary said the closure of the school was to enable the students to return home and reunite with their families after the frightful experience climbing fence as females.

As the issue gained world attention, spawning the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls, the then president Goodluck Jonathan was increasingly criticised for his lacklustre response.

Jonathan's handling of it was seen as contributing to his 2015 election defeat to Buhari, who promised to bring the Boko Haram insurgency to an end.

The attack in Dapchi will again raise questions about the government's grip on security.

Ezekwesili expressed fears that the Chibok experience of four years ago may have repeated itself.

"They're spending a lot of money on arms and logistics".

Latest News