One person in custody after New York City subway explosion

A few people have injured in an explosion at the New York Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan

A few people have injured in an explosion at the New York Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan

The man who set off a bomb at a central bus terminal in New York City on Monday morning was identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, Daily Beast reported, citing the to New York Police Department Commissioner John O'Neil.

Commuters underground near 40th Street and 8th Avenue began to flee after a loud, muffled sound was heard in the Port Authority subway station.

According to the police, three subway lines - the A, C and E - were evacuated.

Asked by a reporter if the suspect had any connections to ISIS, O'Neill said the man "made statements", but declined to be more specific.

Other injuries minor: Two victims at Mount Sinai West and one at Mount Sinai Queens are being treated for headaches and ringing in the ears, Nigro said. Service should return to normal before evening rush hour, transit officials said.

He was reportedly carrying a metal pipe bomb that is believed to have detonated prematurely.

NY is on high alert ahead of the holidays, which culminate every year with the giant New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square, attended by hundreds of thousands of revellers.

Aerial footage from the scene showed police cruisers, emergency vehicles and hundreds of police and fire personnel in the street outside the terminal. A federal law enforcement official told CBS News' Jeff Pegues the device malfunctioned.

The bus terminal reopened around 10:20 a.m., according to the NYPD.

Alicja Wlodkowski, 51, said that she had been in a restaurant inside the Port Authority when she suddenly saw a crowd of people running.

Local news channel WABC quoted police sources as saying a possible pipe bomb detonated in a passageway below ground at Port Authority.

It was the deadliest terror attack in New York City since the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. "But if you see something suspicious you have an obligation to come forward and tell us", O'Neill said.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders has tweeted that President Trump has been briefed on the explosion.

Latest News