Theresa May condemns North Korea missile launch in 'strongest terms possible'

Theresa May Shinzo Abe

Prime Minister Theresa May and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan Reuters

Japan, South Korea and the United States called for an emergency meeting of the Security Council after the North Korea's Monday launch.

The missile was sacked at 6 a.m.

But according to Lance Gatling, a defense analyst, even American Aegis destroyers situated in the Sea of Japan, although equipped with Missile-3 interceptor missiles could not have stopped it as the timing, because of the speed and altitude, would certainly have been off. In Japan, television broadcasts were interrupted as the government made efforts to alert its citizens of the imminent danger. Bullet trains were also halted to prevent any untoward incident. The council then issued a statement condemning the launch as an "outrageous" threat and urging Pyongyang to stop further nuclear tests or provocations.

The plan involves "the mobilisation of airborne troops and Marines to infiltrate Pyongyang to quickly bring down the North Korean regime".

US President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe arrive for a joint press conference at the White House in Washington, DC on February 10, 2017.

May said Pyongyang's latest missile test over the Japanese Island of Hokkaido was "outrageous" as Russian Federation and China, both allies of the North Koreans, agreed a UN Security Council resolution condemning the action.

The president's tweet came after the Pentagon confirmed earlier this week that North Korea had reignited tensions by firing a ballistic missile early Tuesday that soared over Japan before crashing into the Pacific Ocean.

In July, it tested an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) called the Hwasong-14 twice. However, the USA -drafted statement, which was agreed by consensus, does not threaten new sanctions on North Korea. As reported by Telegraph, for the first time ever, North Korea fired a missile from a highly populated area of Pyongyang.

People in Pyongyang watching a televised broadcast of a missile test on Wednesday. This renders the US plan of pre-emptive strike useless.

Trump's remarks swiftly sparked furious condemnation on Twitter with many describing them as "dangerous" and "provocative" with one person saying "war is not a joke". Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson had also cited the brief pause in missile testing as a pathway to dialogue.

Officials say the USS John Paul Jones detected and tracked a medium-range ballistic missile that was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility.

"North Korea must find the path to negotiations", he said.

In the event of a conventional conflict breaking out on the Korean Peninsula, North Korean artillery is expected to bombard the South's defences along the demilitarised zone as well as shelling Seoul, which is less than 80km south of the border.

Trump and Abe agreed they shared the goal of blocking the oil supply, according to the report.

Experts believe that the missile launch was aimed at the USA and President Trump.

Latest News